Skip to main content

Why I Started Tradicat ... and Why I Continue...

 +
JMJ

In 2010, we moved into a house and transitioned from dial-up internet to DSL and it took a little time to adjust.

It was at that point that I discovered online forums such as AngelQueen,Ignis Ardens, Suscipe Domine, Cathinfo (I was banned within a couple of days).

I was even invited to a resistance forum that started when Ignis Ardens started it's death spiral.  I was banned within 20 minutes - my personal best!  

Those days were exciting and I was very thankful that my mother forced me to take typing.  It got to the point that my 'resistor' opponents could not conceive of my being a single person. At one point the opinion emerged that I was about 3 to 5 Menzigenites working against the 'resistance'.  

Those were heady days indeed.

While I enjoyed the experience, it was taxing, instructive, exhilarating and frustrating.  I was once described by a former IDF commando (RIP) as a warrior and at this point I think I would agree. But the experience was beginning to sour. 

The biggest problem was that the work I put into responses was quickly lost in the stream of responses. This was overshadowed by a the realization that I had become somewhat obsessed or at least absorbed by these arguments and not doing my duty to my family. 

Over a number of months I became disillusioned and finally disinterested in contributing to forums.  It took time and the real turning point was when I did a study of my online time vs family time. The results were depressing and added to this was the fact that I had been drawn into real-world discussions and arguments with Modern Catholics.

One benefit of all this activity was that I had to study and I studied a lot.  The downside was that I was being spiritually drained by the exertion.  The solution was provided by a priest who, in a few words, described the danger of running on empty in a spiritual war. 

The solution:

  1. I try to keep up my spiritual life by doing spiritual reading and prayer to counter balance studies.
  2. I started this blog, so I could write down the results of my studies and ponderings.
  3. I still pop in to Suscipe Domine, but if I'm going to write a long response (a rare occurrence these days), I'll post it on Tradicat first. I should note that Suscipe Domine has the most effective and balanced moderation process of all the forums I explored.

So why did I start Tradicat?

  1. To not lose track of the work that I've done and documented in articles.
  2. To have my own place to write what I want even if a forum moderator doesn't like it.
  3. To have a "library" resource

Why do I continue? 

  1. It's therapeutic. I work out my frustrations with the crisis of the Church by studying, thinking and writing my thoughts on the blog
  2. Because to be motivated to do the above, I need to 'publish' it.  It was the same with my research into my thesis and to a lesser extent is it the same here. I get motivated to study things I find interesting and publishing puts me over the threshold of action.
  3. Because some people find the work of value.

 So, those of my rambling thoughts this Canada Day.


P^3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...

If Pope Francis is bad - what about Pope St. John Paul II et al?

+ JMJ So here we are on the apparent cusp of yet another post conciliar Papal canonization. This time we have Pope's John-Paul I and Paul VI canonizations to 'look forward' to. This follows, obviously, on the heels of Pope St. John Paul II's canonization? So the first question that I usually encounter is: How is it possible, keeping in mind the doctrine on infallibility of canonizations (note doctrine not dogma), that Pope St. John Paul II is a Saint? First, what does it mean???  According to the doctrine of dogmatic facts - it is the universal opinion of Theologians that canonizations are infallible.  It means that they enjoy the beatific vision.  ... that's it.  That is the doctrine and it is at the level of universal opinion of theologians.  It is called a 'dogmatic fact'. That they made mistakes is obvious.  That the miracles seem to not be very miraculous is also a bit of an issue. Here's something to consider: The rush that surrou...

Thirty Days Prayer to Our Lady -

+ JMJ Providence has cast this prayer in my path twice in the last week.  I decided to post it here in order to have a copy handy. P^3 Prayer Penance Patience Source Intro Prayer With the condition of affairs in the cultural, political and physical world in a state of disarray we enter Lent - Ash Wednesday - February 25th - 2004 - more compelled then ever to pursue, diligently and faithfully, our personal road to holiness. It is a long, difficult path each of us treads, however, we do know the journey can be sweeter and more blessed if we travel it with others. Jesus has told us: "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I am with you." And there are many other biblical passages, as well, that urge us to love and help one another. A 'Thirty Day Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary ' was said by many Catholics during troubled times in their lives up until Vatican II. While looking through old stored away boxes, I came across a small white prayer b...