+
JMJ
Years (ok decades) ago I received the book The Practice of The Presence of God by Brother Lawrence (wiki) as a gift. When I finally did read the book (it is not long), it did affect my spiritual life and with the recent turmoil over the SSPX consecrations, I concluded that I should look into it once more by recounting events and decisions in my life that are linked to the book.
The Conversation
First, is the interiour conversation with God. Prayer is part of this, but it becomes something less structured and habitual in the Presence of God.
In fact, when visiting a neighbour and he mentioned something about his past, I 'heard' a repeated - almost shouting - voice telling me to ask the question that popped into my mind. Once I thought, "Ok I will", the pleading stopped. In a gap in the discussion I asked the question and, instead of being offended it led to a deep conversation about their past.
So listening is part of the practice, one which I need to work on.
Providence in Little Things
Another practice is giving a decision to God. When faced with a simple decision between two 'goods', I've witnessed on person seek God's more direct guidance by reciting a prayer to the Holy Ghost, indicating the conditions for how they will understand God's will, placing their trust in Divine Providence and flipping a coin.
The basic premise they follow is that God is in charge and arrange the coin flip to align with His providence. For the person flipping, it is practicing surrender of their will to God's.
One caveat, this is not used for major decisions where thought and discernment are required. The question is usually one where they will follow their own will or deny themselves. By their account, often (more than 50%) the coin toss comes up a counter their will - i.e. to deny themselves.
Final Thoughts
We need to keep our minds and souls at peace, otherwise we won't hear the whispers of God.
In this new chapter of the crisis of the Church, I will be attempting to do just that!
P^3
Comments
Post a Comment