Skip to main content

A Perspective on the 'Resistance'

+
JMJ


I received the following perspective on arguing with the 'resistance' who are strongly influended by their confirmation bias (see also cognitive biases).

For resistance minded people the reasoning is very simple!
  • Heresy: Whatever comes from Vatican 2 + Pope Francis et al, with no exception or distinction.
  • Liberalism: Whatever comes from the mouth of Bp Fellay et al, with no exception or distinction.
  • Good Traditional Catholicism: Whatever comes from the mouth of Fr. Pfeiffer et al, with no exception or distinction.
When they reach that point, it is useless to carry on an argument.  


As the Apologetics manual states - if a person defends an absurdity, there is no reason to continue the discussion.

In simpler terms, if a person is not thinking rationally during the argument, the presentation of objective evidence that contradicts their position will simply cause them to hold on that much stronger to their delusion.

I have personally encountered this phenomenon in discussions with 'resistors' and sede-vacantists.

When you reach that point, you have only one option left: Prayer.

As an aside, I've found modern Catholics and Protestants more reasonable in religious discussions than either of the aforementioned groups.

This, I believe, is a manifestation of the dangers of this prolonged crisis of the Church. Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

P^3

Comments

  1. If this is all you have encountered with the Resistance, you need to find some new "resistors" to talk to. Or better yet, an actual priest of the Resistance. One who gives clear answers, unlike the double-speak from +Fellay and Menzingen. There are others in the Resistance beside +Williamson and Fr. Pfeiffer who could help you see through the misinformation from Menzingen and internet rumors. The Dominicans of Avrille, for example: http://www.dominicansavrille.us/

    I can only speak for myself, not other resistors/Catholics, but I call heresy whatever the Catholic Church has declared as heresy, especially in the deliberately ambiguous Vatican II documents. I call liberalism (and modernism, and all the evil "-isms" in the world) whatever the Catholic Church has declared as such, especially when any bishop, +Fellay or otherwise, is promoting it. Since (Traditional) Catholicism can only be "good", I only follow the clergy that promote it. Only if it is the same Faith all the Saints, Popes of Tradition and Our Lord Jesus Christ have handed down. (Yes, that was with distinction.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian,

    I think you need to browse my blog a little more before you jump to any conclusions about my understanding of the 'resistance'.

    I understand that you are both Canadian and working with Tony La Rosa. I've encountered Tony many times over the last four years, had discussions with a number of 'resistors' and examined some their writings on doctrine - particularly the Four Marks etc.

    Concerning 'misinformation', I find it interesting that you use that word.

    In making my decisions, I compare the positions of the SSPX and the 'Resistance' against the Dogmas, Doctrines and Principles of the Catholic Church.

    I have weighed the 'Resistance' in the balance and found them woefully wanting.

    I suggest you have a look at this link: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/search/label/Series%20-%20Heresy%20of%20the%20%27Resistance%27

    Cordially,

    Tradical

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...

If Pope Francis is bad - what about Pope St. John Paul II et al?

+ JMJ So here we are on the apparent cusp of yet another post conciliar Papal canonization. This time we have Pope's John-Paul I and Paul VI canonizations to 'look forward' to. This follows, obviously, on the heels of Pope St. John Paul II's canonization? So the first question that I usually encounter is: How is it possible, keeping in mind the doctrine on infallibility of canonizations (note doctrine not dogma), that Pope St. John Paul II is a Saint? First, what does it mean???  According to the doctrine of dogmatic facts - it is the universal opinion of Theologians that canonizations are infallible.  It means that they enjoy the beatific vision.  ... that's it.  That is the doctrine and it is at the level of universal opinion of theologians.  It is called a 'dogmatic fact'. That they made mistakes is obvious.  That the miracles seem to not be very miraculous is also a bit of an issue. Here's something to consider: The rush that surrou...

Thirty Days Prayer to Our Lady -

+ JMJ Providence has cast this prayer in my path twice in the last week.  I decided to post it here in order to have a copy handy. P^3 Prayer Penance Patience Source Intro Prayer With the condition of affairs in the cultural, political and physical world in a state of disarray we enter Lent - Ash Wednesday - February 25th - 2004 - more compelled then ever to pursue, diligently and faithfully, our personal road to holiness. It is a long, difficult path each of us treads, however, we do know the journey can be sweeter and more blessed if we travel it with others. Jesus has told us: "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I am with you." And there are many other biblical passages, as well, that urge us to love and help one another. A 'Thirty Day Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary ' was said by many Catholics during troubled times in their lives up until Vatican II. While looking through old stored away boxes, I came across a small white prayer b...