Skip to main content

Bishop Fellay and the Deutsche Welle Interview

+
JMJ

Updated with 'logic' correction!

I understand that Bishop Fellay gave an interview with a belligerent attack reporter.

While it is questionable as to the prudence of giving the interview, here is was TCW wrote about it:

 It would seem that Pope Francis is not the only one capable of giving a disastrous interview. The leader of the Society of St. Pius X comes off terribly in an interview with Tim Sebastian of Deutsche Welle.
I wonder why this interview has not been covered by the Catholic media? After all, the Pope's various controversial interviews have been.
An example:  a great many hear about the papal comments from the back of a plane, but few have heard about Fellay's interview. This interview really brings into question Bishop Fellay's competence and leadership. A bishop should be able to handle, tough - even harsh, provocative and yes - dishonest and confrontational questions from a secular journalist.
It may be time - after 22 years! - for the SSPX to consider changes to her leadership and not wait until 2018. It may also be time for us to take off the rose coloured glasses and to look at the Pope and Bishop Fellay through the same lens. If the pope makes mistakes in the back of an airplane, it is fair to point them out; but it is also equally fair to point out the mistakes of the SSPX Superior. (Source: Toronto Catholic Witness: Bishop Fellay - Is it time for sspx to change its leadership?)



I have encountered this type of reasoning before.  A Jesuit countered the exposure of the doctrinal errors of Kasper et al with the statement of Bishop Williamson's interview.

The response is the same in both cases:
  •  Bishop Fellay (and even Williamson in the infamous 2009 interview) were not giving ambiguous / erroneous answers about the Faith. In the case of Bishop Fellay, I understand he calmly explained Church doctrine.
  • The Pope was giving ambiguous / erroneous answers ...
So if I were to use the 'same lens' to look at the Pope and Bishop Fellay I would see that in hindsight it:
  • was imprudent on the part of Bishop Fellay to give an interview to an attack dog and that I am pleased he attempted to explain Church doctrine even though it may have been casting pearls before swine.
  • was endangering souls on the part of Pope Francis to give erroneous / ambiguous expositions  of Church doctrine.
The call for a change of leadership is ridiculous - if this were the case then and applied equally - then the Pope would have been changed multiple time for kissing the Koran etc.

P^3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...

If Pope Francis is bad - what about Pope St. John Paul II et al?

+ JMJ So here we are on the apparent cusp of yet another post conciliar Papal canonization. This time we have Pope's John-Paul I and Paul VI canonizations to 'look forward' to. This follows, obviously, on the heels of Pope St. John Paul II's canonization? So the first question that I usually encounter is: How is it possible, keeping in mind the doctrine on infallibility of canonizations (note doctrine not dogma), that Pope St. John Paul II is a Saint? First, what does it mean???  According to the doctrine of dogmatic facts - it is the universal opinion of Theologians that canonizations are infallible.  It means that they enjoy the beatific vision.  ... that's it.  That is the doctrine and it is at the level of universal opinion of theologians.  It is called a 'dogmatic fact'. That they made mistakes is obvious.  That the miracles seem to not be very miraculous is also a bit of an issue. Here's something to consider: The rush that surrou...

Thirty Days Prayer to Our Lady -

+ JMJ Providence has cast this prayer in my path twice in the last week.  I decided to post it here in order to have a copy handy. P^3 Prayer Penance Patience Source Intro Prayer With the condition of affairs in the cultural, political and physical world in a state of disarray we enter Lent - Ash Wednesday - February 25th - 2004 - more compelled then ever to pursue, diligently and faithfully, our personal road to holiness. It is a long, difficult path each of us treads, however, we do know the journey can be sweeter and more blessed if we travel it with others. Jesus has told us: "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I am with you." And there are many other biblical passages, as well, that urge us to love and help one another. A 'Thirty Day Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary ' was said by many Catholics during troubled times in their lives up until Vatican II. While looking through old stored away boxes, I came across a small white prayer b...