+
JMJ
Immediately after the council (i.e. Second Vatican Council) things changed in Catholic Church around the world.
Some of the Veteran Trads gave a good fight in those early years.
In this story, three friends in Quebec agreed that what they were hearing from the pulpit reeked of heresy. After a while, they decided that it was time to take some action.
The following Sunday all three of them took up their position in the front pew, directly in front of the pulpit. It wasn't difficult as the front pew was rarely occupied even in this era.
They had a plan!
As the sermon began the men sat there staring at the priest, waiting.
Then it happened.
A statement that deviated from pre-conciliar teaching leapt from the priests lips.
The reaction wasn't explosive ... it was passive-aggressive ... in a way.
As if on cue, the three men shook their heads, left to right.
The priest paused, studdered a little and continued. All was good for a few minutes before some other novelty escaped his lips.
He knew what he'd said but he couldn't look away - they were right there shaking their head like synchronized machines left to right then froze - stares centered on them.
It went on for about a month or so and the priest was "transferred". The scuttle but in the priory was that he was had take some sort of stress leave.
The next Sunday a new priest took the pulpit and the three same men were in the first pew.
The same action was taken are the 'new thinking' with the same result. This went on for a while until this priest also left.
A third left in the same manner.
The fourth arrived and before Sunday a knock came at the door of one of the three men (perhaps the others but I heard the story from only one of the newly minted Trads).
"I won't stand for this.", the new Pastor started as the door closed, "If you don't like it, leave."
The next Sunday the front pew was empty. I don't know if the Church had started to empty yet.
A few months later there was another knock at the door and it was the Assistant Pastor looking a little sheepish. "I'm here to collect your annual stipend." It came out that the Pastor has sent his assistant to do the dirty deed.
Bear in mind that at this time, Church jumping was not a thing in the Catholic Church. You actually needed permission to switch parishes etc.
The response was firm and immediate, "I make my donations where I attend Church", after a moments thought, "If the Pastor wants it that badly, he will have to come in person." The Assistant left empty handed, probably thankful that he didn't get worse. The Pastor never showed up to collect the stipend.
I think this is one of the best Traditional Catholic story that I've ever heard.
P^3
Comments
Post a Comment