Skip to main content

Who Has Changed?

+
JMJ

What is left after the conspiracy theories are set aside.

Principles and Reality.

We know the principles that the SSPX follows, how it understands the crisis of the Church and how it applies those principles.

Case in point - the concept of the 'conciliar Church'.  Is it simply a movement within the Catholic Church or is it something wholly separate - with the Pope being the head of two churches at once - as the Dominicans of Avrille believe?
We know from the 1988 letter to Cardinal Gantin that the SSPX understands that conciliar Church to be a movement within the Catholic Church. ( Series: Defining Concilar Church )

That the SSPX has not changed on this point is fact. 

How about the Dominicans of Avrille?  Did they ever hold the same understanding of the SSPX in this matter?

Either way they have falsely accused the SSPX of abandoning the understanding of the Archbishop on this matter (What is the resistance hiding - Part 3) 

See Note 1 at the bottom of this post.

I wonder what else has changed?

Oh yes, Bishop Williamson is different than Father Williamson.  The latter asked:

Father Williamson 1988:Let us pray for the Pope the He may do what He quite clearly should do to give juridical standing and status to the Society which wholly deserves it and which absolutely needs it for the good of the Universal Church, let alone the Society ...

I've reviewed what Bishop Williamson now states here: Bishop Williamson Goes Awry

Basically, it can be summed up in this quote:

Bishop Williamson 2015:not only should the Society not be talking to the Conciliar officials, it should, while observing all charity and respect, be fleeing them like the plague, for fear of itself being infected by their dangerously infectious Conciliar errors, unless and until, exactly as Archbishop Lefebvre said, they show that they are quitting their Conciliarism and coming back to true Catholic doctrine.

Are these two people really the same?  They are the same person, but a changed person.

I wonder where he'd draw the lines on the chart in this post now? (Bishop Williamson: SSPX Deserves and Needs Juridical Standing)

The Old Bishop Williamson labelled the following as a sedevacantist perspective.
Present Church Superiors have virtually forfeited their right to be respected even as superiors by Catholics.

Now that's a bit ironic.

What about the Valtorta writings?  In Eleison 275 Bishop Williamson recommends that the Poem of the Man-God should be read to young children.  He defends his departure from Archbishop Lefebvre's line on this literary work of fiction by saying that, wait for it, the condemnation was the work of modernists who infiltrated the Holy Office.
    ... the Poem was put on the Church’s Index of forbidden books in the 1950’s, which was before Rome went neo-modernist in the 1960’s. ...

    "... But firstly, how could the modernists have taken over Rome in the 1960’s, as they did, had they not already been well established within Rome in the 1950’s ? ..."
Lamentabili Sane and Bishop Williamson - Maria Valtorta

So he invokes a conspiracy theory in order to promote a book that was on the index of forbidden books for good reason.

Really quite the imagination.

I wonder what else he has imagined?

How about principles?

Most readers will know that I have compiled a list of principles ( Steadying Principles ) that I discerned that the SSPX were using as guides in their relations with Rome.

The principle of obedience is why they set aside the principle of 'no canonical regularization without a doctrinal agreement' - because they thought the Pope was ready to accept as as we are (quoting Archbishop Lefebvre).

In short, the Virtue of Obedience overrides a negotiating principle penned by a Chapter of a Catholic Congregation.  Now I know that some have elevated this principle to a dogmatic opinion ... but ...

Obedience is still a Catholic Principle and one that St. Thomas Aquinas illuminated quite well in the Summa.

Trust isn't actually part of the principle as laid out by St. Thomas - and rightly so - because trust is a subjective element. St. Thomas dealt with what can be discerned in actuality.  Is there a sin in the command.  If not and the other conditions are met, True Obedience is submission to the lawful command of the superior.

We also know that Bishop Williamson et al have set this principle aside.  Their motivations?  Fear, Conspiracy Theories and a trust in their own judgement over that of their superior(s).

In the end, we now know that the Pope was not willing to accept the SSPX as we are. He required the complete acceptance of the Second Vatican Council and the New Mass etc.  But up to that point, it was not clear.  While Bishop Williamson et al would (obviously) disregard any alleged message from the Pope, is that really the line of Archbishop Lefebvre? Is that really the mark of a Catholic? 

I don't think so.

A Catholic always responds to the call of Rome to do otherwise is to step off the path of Archbishop Lefebvre and onto the path to schism.

A Catholic does not let his imaginary fears dissuade him from True Obedience.

That is the Catholic way, that is the path that Archbishop Lefebvre followed.

It is the path that the SSPX follows today.

P^3



Note 1: I understand that some 'resistors' will present as proof to the contrary an article written by Bishop Tissier de Mallerais. I would suggest that they read the entire piece - Bishop TdM.
Firstly, the conciliar church is not materially separate from the Catholic Church. It does not exist independently from the Catholic Church. There is a distinction certainly between them, a formal one, without an absolute material distinction. 
So the model I present below is consistent with both the view of the SSPX and Bishpo TdM.


Secondarily, as the SSPX in 1988 referred to the 'conciliar Church' as a spirit within the Church, anything deviating from this would by definition a departure.

P^3

Comments

  1. Hello, thank you Tradicat for your posts concerning the resistance. I've stopped going to forums and such because I realized that I was absorbing too many people's opinions and not enough Church teachings. Your blog posts have been a reason that I made that change. You actually post concise logical reasons why to stay away from the resistance, which I have never been a part of. I actually took your advice and read the Catechism of Trent's words about the Four Marks of the Church. And I realized that I had made some critical errors in my thinking about the crisis in the Church. I think every traditionalist needs to read these teachings about the Four Marks of the Church. So I am commenting to also encourage you to continue telling the truth. You have helped at least one soul.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

The Vatican and SSPX – An Organizational Culture Perspective

Introduction The recent and continuing interactions between the Vatican and the SSPX have been a great opportunity for prayer and reflection.  The basis for the disagreement is theological and not liturgical. As noted by Dr. Lamont (2012), the SSPX theological position on the four key controversial aspects of the Second Vatican Council are base on prior theological work that resulted from relevant magisterial pronouncements.  So it is difficult to understand the apparent rejection of the theological position of the SSPX.

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...

Thoughts on the FSSP Perspectives On the SSPX Situation

+ JMJ  Perspectives – FSSP vs SSPX In August, Fr. Debow (FSSP) of Holy Family Parish in Vancouver, B.C. wrote two letters on the SSPX “situation”. Obviously, Father is writing from the FSSP perspective and some elements are simply repeating what he’s been taught in seminary by the founders of the FSSP. In other words, they don’t truthfully reflect the position of the SSPX or, I feel, make the necessary distinctions. Father’s key points I noted were: The situation isn’t primarily about the Tridentine 1 Mass, the SSPX “no longer believes that Rome can transmit the faith, the SSPX “have taken it upon themselves to save the Church”, the penalties are not a persecution but a correction of a theological error manifesting itself as schism, It is a sin to attend Mass at an SSPX chapel. My goal is to assess the five points in as objective a manner as possible. Since I have sought the sacraments from either Fr. Normandin or the SSPX since the early 80’s it is probably t...