Skip to main content

News Roundup: August 23, 2026

 +

JMJ

I want to highlight / respond to two articles in particular:


National Catholic Reporter: Former SSPX member says unity with Catholicism means more than valid ordinations: 

  1. First, Louis Massett was not a member of the SSPX, only priests, religious and perhaps the Third Order members are actually members of the SSPX. 
  2. Massett's experience regarding the cultural shift is aligned with my experience in that a change in belief is followed by a change in the artifacts - such as dress, music, association etc.  There are extremes in each of these - to the point where belief exceeds what is actually required.  Female dress is a key point and, for better or worse, Bishop Williamson's (RIP) series on slacks for women reflect a more extreme version of the modesty.
  3. "They're not Catholic. They're SSPX" actually reflects either the Sedevacantist or modern Catholic perspective.  
    1. In general the Sedevacantists - and I've run into this belief system throughout the world - believe that the Pope's elected since a certain time CANNOT be Catholic.  I hold that a sedevacantist will not regularly attend the novus ordo missae. Some, not all, will attend the SSPX.
    2. I've seen the 'They're not Catholic' perspective from ignorant Modern Catholics who just can't believe that what the SSPX believes is Catholic.  Read Cognitive Dissonance (link).
  4. Conspiracy theories are not limited to the SSPX. I've heard these theories from various non-trads, trads, non-Catholics ... so we can set this aside. If you haven't encountered a conspiracy theorist outside the SSPX ... then perhaps you need to open both your eyes and ears when out and about.
  5. Then there's the 'schism' Schick. I asked the authority and can say that the SSPX post 1988 was listed as 'not in full communion' and since the 2026 amateur canonical warning and declaration of schism didn't change anything (link). 

God's Unconditional Love and the SSPX's Conditions: 

  1. So an SSPX priest recommended that her parents 'ostracize' their daughter. I know of cases where that could have been culturally aligned in the Church of the 1950s and I know that the contrary advice is also provided by SSPX priests when a child leaves the SSPX and / or the Catholic Church.  What I noticed is that she is silent on the rationale for the cutting of ties with their daughter.
  2. Interestingly, I was in St. Mary's in the same era when both McAuliffe and Massett. Some elements they highlighted as cultural and I can say that our experiences were either very different or we remember them differently.
  3. In the end, McAuliffe has left the Catholic Faith and holds onto only a single hope by ending these words: God who loves us all, unconditionally. And that’s what counts.  This is a narrow perspective and I would say reflects a confirmation bias of someone who has lost the Faith. God does love us all unconditionally and at the same time will deal with each and everyone of us with Justice.  God will condemn each person who dies in a state of personal mortal sin to an eternity in Hell with the punishments due to their actual sins.

As always, these types of articles don't reflect the actual core issues of the crisis of the Catholic Church and the SSPX response to it.

P^3



 1 Popes Past Present and Future

2 The Church, The Crisis and the Persecution

3 SSPX

4 World, Wars and Conflict




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the FSSP Perspectives On the SSPX Situation

+ JMJ  Perspectives – FSSP vs SSPX In August, Fr. Debow (FSSP) of Holy Family Parish in Vancouver, B.C. wrote two letters on the SSPX “situation”. Obviously, Father is writing from the FSSP perspective and some elements are simply repeating what he’s been taught in seminary by the founders of the FSSP. In other words, they don’t truthfully reflect the position of the SSPX or, I feel, make the necessary distinctions. Father’s key points I noted were: The situation isn’t primarily about the Tridentine 1 Mass, the SSPX “no longer believes that Rome can transmit the faith, the SSPX “have taken it upon themselves to save the Church”, the penalties are not a persecution but a correction of a theological error manifesting itself as schism, It is a sin to attend Mass at an SSPX chapel. My goal is to assess the five points in as objective a manner as possible. Since I have sought the sacraments from either Fr. Normandin or the SSPX since the early 80’s it is probably t...

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

The Vatican and SSPX – An Organizational Culture Perspective

Introduction The recent and continuing interactions between the Vatican and the SSPX have been a great opportunity for prayer and reflection.  The basis for the disagreement is theological and not liturgical. As noted by Dr. Lamont (2012), the SSPX theological position on the four key controversial aspects of the Second Vatican Council are base on prior theological work that resulted from relevant magisterial pronouncements.  So it is difficult to understand the apparent rejection of the theological position of the SSPX.

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...