Skip to main content

The Holocaust, Auschwitz-Birkenau and Traditional Catholicism

 +
JMJ

Nota Bene: This will be a somewhat rambling article as I only heard today about it being the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. So these are some impressions that occurred to me as I drove home from work.

So, across the world there are a variety of opinions about what Germany did in the concentration camps.  The same holds true within Traditional Catholicism.  There is a spectrum of beliefs, opinions and theories about the Holocaust and the factory efficient murder of Jewish people deported from occupied countries. It is not unique to Traditional Catholicism, but it is the stick that people like to use to 'beat' down the Trads.

Well ... that would be a mistake.

My father was a teenager during the Second World War and hated the comedy "Hogan's Heroes" because it portrayed the German soldiers as buffoons. When describing his impressions of the Germans he would say, they were "very, very effective."

He experienced this first hand as he was walking home from school. Two soldiers challenged two men who happened to be beside my Dad.  Their order was simple, "drop your pants". This was a practically surefire way to identified Jewish men.  

It also explains my Dad's reluctance when the Doctor's suggested circumcising his baby boys.  

Back to the story ... according to my Dad the two men were both Jewish, members of the underground and the underground had a safe-house near the school. They grabbed my Dad and used him as a human shield, whereas my Dad said he wanted to fight with them.  In spite of being used as a human shield, my Dad went home that night and the two men were dead.  So my Dad witnessed two things at once. First the soldiers weren't mindless killing machines. They killed two members of the resistance who were using a young teenager as a human shield.  My Dad's impression of them being 'effective' was from first hand experience.

Then comes the FUD that people spread about Auschwitz.  I've heard things from Bishop Williamson and others.  I never thought of them critically back them, as I would now ... actually, it was the Terrorist attacks of Sept 11, 2001 that were the wake up call for me.  I heard him give his version of why an Airplane weighing  tens of thousands of pounds flying at hundreds of miles per hour couldn't do the damage it did to the Pentagon.  His reason, it has a fiberglass nose whereas a missile has a Titanium nose.  Well, having worked in the Aerospace industry  I knew that was Male Cow Manure (MCM).  Then he went on to simply ignore eye witness testimony, more MCM.  

Here's the key for me.  About 15 years ago I was in Poland for work for a few weeks and one weekend I had a choice - go visit the Salt Mines or Auschwitz.  I took the trip to Auschwitz I and II.  It was well worth it and I find it intellectually dishonest of Bishop Williamson to refuse to go and see for himself.

From this, I know a few things about Auschwitz:

  1. It is possible that they did kill hundreds of thousands of people in Auschwitz I, II, and III through a combination of work, starvation and executions (shooting, hanging and gas chambers).  I know this sounds strange, but I've heard people say it wasn't possible. I did the math and it was possible.
  2. The eye witness account, Polish and others, cannot be dismissed offhand as I've heard done. It is invalid to discount a person's testimony just because it doesn't jive with one's personal beliefs.  There is also the fact that there is the testimony in the trials.

I've been to Auschwitz I and II.  While the older site was an old military base adapted to the tasks, II was purpose built and huge.  After the tour, I asked our driver to go the end of the line of fence posts and watch towers.  He did better, he drove to the end of the camp, which took quite a while, and then it changed I asked was that the end, he said "no ... now we are passing the prisoner of war camp for Russian soldiers. Because of the Geneva conventions they had to be kept separate." Then he drove around to the back of the camp and showed us the spot where the farm houses used to do tests with the Zyklon gas. Camp II was enormous and pictures don't do the scale justice.  

There was also a III, but it was a factory and was bombed during the war.  So given the scale and the capabilities - I am convinced that it was possible. Given the witness testimony, I am convinced that it happened.  As far as the numbers, I leave that to the witnesses and historians and say that from my understanding of the capacity it was possible.  

It was murder on a factory scale and genocide is an apt description.  Of course, I'm not saying that the Germans didn't imprison and execute others. I am saying that murder of people because of their beliefs remains murder. Period. End.Stop.

 

The view from outside the camp.

Anyway, today is the anniversary of the liberation of the camps and something for us to consider deeply because there is a history of rulers trying to wipe out various 'deplorables' (link). Caesar(s), Hitler, Stalin, and others have done so and I have no doubt that others will rise up and walk in their footsteps.  

We just don't know who.

P^3

 

Auschwitz II (Birkenau) 1944

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0b711n3/the-man-who-volunteered-to-be-imprisoned-in-auschwitz

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/auschwitz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwitz_concentration_camp

https://www.auschwitz.org/en/

https://ground.news/article/auschwitz-anniversary-marked-as-peace-again-shattered-by-war_cdf21e

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning and Evening and other sundry Prayers

+ JMJ Along the theme of P^3 (Prayer, Penance, Patience), and for my own reference ... here is a collection of Morning and Evening prayers from the Ideal Daily Missal along with some additional prayers. In this crisis of the Church, I do not think it is possible to do too much prayer, penance and have patience. P^3

What the heck is a congregation of "Pontifical Right"

+ JMJ In a discussion with a friend the question occurred to me that I didn't actually know was is involved in being a religious order of 'pontifical right'. I had a vague notion that this meant they reported to Rome as opposed to the local diocese. I'm also aware that, according to the accounts I have heard, the Archbishop received 'praise' and the written direction to incardinate priests directly into the SSPX.  This is interesting because it implies that the SSPX priests were no longer required to incardinate in the local diocese but in the SSPX. This is something that belongs to an order of 'pontifical right'. Anyway here's some definitions: Di diritto pontificio is the Italian term for “of pontifical right” . It is given to the ecclesiastical institutions (the religious and secular institutes, societies of apostolic life) either created by the Holy See or approved by it with the formal decree, known by its Latin name, Decretu

Comparision of the Tridentine, Cranmer and Novus Ordo Masses

+ JMJ I downloaded the comparison that was linked in the previous article on the mass (here) . ... a very good reference! P^3 From: Whispers of Restoration (available at this link) . CHARTING LITURGICAL CHANGE Comparing the 1962 Ordinary of the Roman Mass to changes made during the Anglican Schism; Compared in turn to changes adopted in the creation of Pope Paul VI’s Mass in 1969 The chart on the reverse is a concise comparison of certain ritual differences between three historical rites for the celebration of the Catholic Mass Vetus Ordo: “Old Order,” the Roman Rite of Mass as contained in the 1962 Missal, often referred to as the “Traditional Latin Mass.”The Ordinary of this Mass is that of Pope St. Pius V (1570) following the Council of Trent (1545-63), hence the occasional moniker “Tridentine Mass.” However, Trent only consolidated and codified the Roman Rite already in use at that time; its essential form dates to Pope St. Gregory the Great (+604), in whose time the R

Is it sinful to attend the Novus Ordo (New Mass) - Is it Sinful to Not Attend the Novus Ordo on Sunday?

+ JMJ A non-SSPX Catholic is upset over the SSPX statements on not attending the Novus Ordo Missae. Ladies and gentlemen, what the SSPX, or at least its website editor, is advocating is a mortal sin against the Third Commandment.  Unless the priest deviates from the language of the Sacramentary, the consecration, and thus the rest of Mass is to be considered valid.  No one may elect not to attend Mass simply because abuses are occurring therein.  Might I suggest that such absenteeism is its own abuse?  The Third Commandment binds under mortal sin.  Father So-And-So from the SSPX has no authority whatsoever to excuse attendance at Mass, be that Mass ever so unpalatable. Source:Restore DC Catholicism Well, this is interesting. First why does the SSPX issue this statement? Because it is sinful to put your faith in danger by attending a protestant service.  It is likewise dangerous to put your faith in danger by attending a protestantized mass (ie the Novus Ordo Missae