Skip to main content

On the Ignorant and the Gullible

+
JMJ



Sometimes codified as in the 2009 Criminal Code of Canada: "Ignorance of the law by a person who commits an offence is not an excuse for committing that offence." Source

As I write this I have a cold, so I have had time to think about my interactions with Gullible and the blogger of Restore DC Catholicism.

What occurred to me is that ignorance is the root of the issues that motivate both the blogger and Gullible.

The blogger, when confronted with Church Teaching on the required intention for confecting the Sacraments replied:
That's a bit of a stretch that I don't believe.

It is useless to argue facts so I invite the blogger to not take my word for it.  They should look up the facts from reliable sources.

Then they can judge if I am right or wrong.

The same goes for Gullible.

Like most 'resistors' that I've encountered (... NTS: I am making an assumption that Gullible is a 'resistor'), Gullible is hasty in judgement with too few facts.

I would rewrite Canadian Law to this situation: 
Ignorance of Church Teaching by a Catholic is no excuse for denying that Teaching.
If you are ignorant of Church Teaching, then you are in danger of being fooled, in other words you are gullible.

The ignorant are a large at-risk population. However, in this case there is no safety in numbers.

This is a population that I absolutely do not want to be a part of.

That is a population that you absolutely not want to be a part of.

So what do you do?

It is simple in theory, a little harder in practice.

In theory you need to:
  1. Study the faith: Studying the faith, increasing your understanding will broaden your perspective.  This helps to keep from getting blindsided by a false assertion.
  2. Deepen your spiritual life: Do spiritual reading (Lives of Saints, Imitation of Christ etc), meditation (rosary etc), regularly access the sacraments, prayer.
  3. Be grateful for what you have received!  You don't deserve it! (See this article and this one)
In short, you need to practice to your Catholic Faith with diligence otherwise if all you focus on is #1, then you will run out of grace and crash.  By crash I mean make a soul losing mistake, one from which is will be incredibly difficult to recover.

In the last 10 years, I've seen friends and acquaintances make big mistakes. Mistakes that they agreed were logically wrong. Mistakes that were emotionally motivated.

If you don't have a good foundation by understanding the faith and a strong spiritual life, then you are in the at-risk population of gullibles.  You will believe the first person that says something that 'sounds' right, that resonates with your beliefs, even if it doesn't make sense.

Enter Cognitive Dissonance.

Don't dis psychology because of its atheistic founders.  A lot of it works because it is the study of humans as a herd.  If you are gullible, then you are part of the herd.

Let me give you an example:
I heard Pope Benedict XVI make a statement that 'sounded' modernist.  I just took it as that and moved on.

I had a belief that Pope B16 was a modernist and would talk like one.So all was good 😀

Then a month of so later Bishop Fellay said almost the exact same words.😒

Woah Noah, what's going on?😅

I had a belief that the words were modernist and as long as only B16 said them all was happy.  Then when Bishop Fellay said it ... I had a set of choices:  Either the words were modernist or traditional.

I know a number of people who would jump to the conclusion that Bishop Fellay, by his contact with the authorities in Rome had become infected by modernism.

I didn't go down that path, I set aside the emotional response and did the logical thing. I looked it up and found that what Pope B16 had said was a quote from pre-council teaching (Trent if I remember correctly).😇

Wow, this taught me to be more discerning when something simply 'sounds' modernist.  It might or it might not be.  All I had to do was:


Look

It

Up

Passion is not out of place in the Catholic Faith. Passion that is disconnected from the Catholic Faith IS out of place.

If your passion is connected with a continually growing knowledge of the faith and a continually deepening of your spiritual life and a healthy dose of gratitude.

Then you will be a channel of grace.👍

P^3



    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Morning and Evening and other sundry Prayers

    + JMJ Along the theme of P^3 (Prayer, Penance, Patience), and for my own reference ... here is a collection of Morning and Evening prayers from the Ideal Daily Missal along with some additional prayers. In this crisis of the Church, I do not think it is possible to do too much prayer, penance and have patience. P^3

    Catholic Culture - The Edgar Schein Model Analysis of the Pre and Post Conciliar Culture

     + JMJ    So ... I was thinking ... I've used Edgar Schein's (RIP) organizational cultural model (link ) in my research  ... why not apply it in a comparison between the Catholic Organizational Culture - PRE and POST Second Vatican Culture? Of course, this will be from my own perspective, I'm certain that others will think differently. 😁 Also, apologies for a rather long article. Graphic: https://mutomorro.com/edgar-scheins-culture-model/ Below is a quick mapping of the cultural factors that I could think of.  Since the Church is vast and composed of millions of Souls, it is necessarily a limited cultural map.  Yet, I think it will still be useful to assess what has changed since the Second Vatican Council. Additional Reading:  5 enduring management ideas from MIT Sloan’s Edgar Schein | MIT Sloan Artifacts Artifacts are tangible and observable aspects of the culture being examined.  All organizations have them. Walmart has their Walmart chant, Charismatics have their spe

    Is it sinful to attend the Novus Ordo (New Mass) - Is it Sinful to Not Attend the Novus Ordo on Sunday?

    + JMJ A non-SSPX Catholic is upset over the SSPX statements on not attending the Novus Ordo Missae. Ladies and gentlemen, what the SSPX, or at least its website editor, is advocating is a mortal sin against the Third Commandment.  Unless the priest deviates from the language of the Sacramentary, the consecration, and thus the rest of Mass is to be considered valid.  No one may elect not to attend Mass simply because abuses are occurring therein.  Might I suggest that such absenteeism is its own abuse?  The Third Commandment binds under mortal sin.  Father So-And-So from the SSPX has no authority whatsoever to excuse attendance at Mass, be that Mass ever so unpalatable. Source:Restore DC Catholicism Well, this is interesting. First why does the SSPX issue this statement? Because it is sinful to put your faith in danger by attending a protestant service.  It is likewise dangerous to put your faith in danger by attending a protestantized mass (ie the Novus Ordo Missae

    What the heck is a congregation of "Pontifical Right"

    + JMJ In a discussion with a friend the question occurred to me that I didn't actually know was is involved in being a religious order of 'pontifical right'. I had a vague notion that this meant they reported to Rome as opposed to the local diocese. I'm also aware that, according to the accounts I have heard, the Archbishop received 'praise' and the written direction to incardinate priests directly into the SSPX.  This is interesting because it implies that the SSPX priests were no longer required to incardinate in the local diocese but in the SSPX. This is something that belongs to an order of 'pontifical right'. Anyway here's some definitions: Di diritto pontificio is the Italian term for “of pontifical right” . It is given to the ecclesiastical institutions (the religious and secular institutes, societies of apostolic life) either created by the Holy See or approved by it with the formal decree, known by its Latin name, Decretu