Skip to main content

A Look Back - Should I consecrate Bishops?

+
JMJ

More on the motivations for the consecrations.

P^3

Courtesy of SSPX.org


"Should I consecrate Bishops?"
“Obviously the question poses itself. In order to continue, should I consecrate bishops, or should I let the seminarians fend for themselves, so that after my death they might find bishops to ordain them?
“I do not know one bishop in the whole world who would agree to do it. Several cardinals and a few bishops have some sympathy with the Society. But I do not believe that one or another of them would agree to ordain our seminarians, for fear of thunderbolts from Rome. I was illegally and unjustly disciplined with a suspens a divinis for having ordained priests. All the more reason if I consecrated bishops!

“In the new Canon Law, excommunication is prescribed, and no doubt that is no accident. It was made with us in mind. And so those bishops will not dare to risk being excommunicated.

“That doesn’t frighten me, though, because Rome already treats us in practice as though we were excommunicated. What more can they do against us?

“Suppose that I were excommunicated, that we were all excommunicated: what additional evil would be added to what we are already enduring now? We can no longer go about the parishes. We cannot celebrate Mass in a church. If we ask for permission from a bishop for an exceptional circumstance, it is not granted us. If we want to perform the slightest ceremony in a diocese, communiques are sent to the press forbidding the faithful to attend: ‘They are suspended! They have broken with Rome and are against Rome. They are no longer in communion with the pope.’

“An excommunication would do nothing more to us, especially if you are willing to consider where it would come from. To be excommunicated by liberals, by modernists, would be instead a badge of orthodoxy. That would prove that we have stayed on the right line. We would be excommunicated because we do not think as they do. Well, yes, we do not think as they do. That is true!

We find ourselves therefore in a situation that has some urgency. To be sure, the Good Lord has allowed me to have rather good health. But the years are going by, and I am nearing my end. Our seminaries are filled with seminarians who are ready to receive priestly orders. Well, then, given their [i.e., Rome’s] repeated refusal to lift that suspension, in which they believe, but which was illegal, as I have already proved, we are prevented from continuing in a normal fashion the work of the Society, which however was officially recognized, and in the absence of a bishop who can replace me, what should we do?

“Should I do nothing and consign myself totally to the grace of God, to Providence, come what may; or should I consider that it is my duty to consecrate several bishops so as to allow the Catholic priesthood to continue in order to save souls?

“This is why, together with Bishop de Castro Mayer, during our last meeting in Argentina, we did not rule out that possibility.

“Of course, one may object that in order to consecrate bishops who have apostolic succession, authorization from Rome is required. That is true. And why would we not have that authorization? Not because what we wanted to do was bad, but because it would be contrary to the current modernist, liberal orientation of Rome. ‘You are going to make traditional bishops in order to ordain traditional priests. We don’t want that any more. We want priests who are in the spirit of Vatican II.’

“From this radical opposition, we can conclude that it is impossible to accede morally to the pope’s wishes—physically, or course, it is still possible—but morally [impossible] because it is oriented toward the application of the Council and its consequences. That is his work. That is his purpose. It is useless to try to put tradition into his mind."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...

If Pope Francis is bad - what about Pope St. John Paul II et al?

+ JMJ So here we are on the apparent cusp of yet another post conciliar Papal canonization. This time we have Pope's John-Paul I and Paul VI canonizations to 'look forward' to. This follows, obviously, on the heels of Pope St. John Paul II's canonization? So the first question that I usually encounter is: How is it possible, keeping in mind the doctrine on infallibility of canonizations (note doctrine not dogma), that Pope St. John Paul II is a Saint? First, what does it mean???  According to the doctrine of dogmatic facts - it is the universal opinion of Theologians that canonizations are infallible.  It means that they enjoy the beatific vision.  ... that's it.  That is the doctrine and it is at the level of universal opinion of theologians.  It is called a 'dogmatic fact'. That they made mistakes is obvious.  That the miracles seem to not be very miraculous is also a bit of an issue. Here's something to consider: The rush that surrou...

Thirty Days Prayer to Our Lady -

+ JMJ Providence has cast this prayer in my path twice in the last week.  I decided to post it here in order to have a copy handy. P^3 Prayer Penance Patience Source Intro Prayer With the condition of affairs in the cultural, political and physical world in a state of disarray we enter Lent - Ash Wednesday - February 25th - 2004 - more compelled then ever to pursue, diligently and faithfully, our personal road to holiness. It is a long, difficult path each of us treads, however, we do know the journey can be sweeter and more blessed if we travel it with others. Jesus has told us: "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I am with you." And there are many other biblical passages, as well, that urge us to love and help one another. A 'Thirty Day Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary ' was said by many Catholics during troubled times in their lives up until Vatican II. While looking through old stored away boxes, I came across a small white prayer b...