Skip to main content

Spiritual Communion - Articles

 +
JMJ

Something that was necessary for many Catholics was to be content with making a Spiritual Act of Communion.

Some of you will have noticed that I added it to the Morning Prayers Devotions (link) and thought that it would be good to collect some articles in one spot.

 P^3

Sources:

http://www.sspxflorida.com/en/spiritual-communion

https://sspx.com.au/en/news-events/news/spiritual-communion-56813

https://fsspx.uk/en/news-events/news/spiritual-communion-56548

https://fsspx.asia/en/news-events/news/note-theology-spiritual-communion-56868



SSPX Florida


What is Spiritual Communion?

Spiritual Communion is very simple, it only takes a moment, and we can do it during our work, our studies or anything else we may be doing. Whenever we make a spiritual communion, we please God and receive an abundance of his graces. 

Whenever we make a spiritual communion, we please God and receive an abundance of his graces. Saints throughout the ages have witnessed to the value of spiritual communion. In a vision, Our Lord explained it to St. Catherine of Siena by showing her two chalices: one made of gold, the other of silver. He told her that her sacramental Communions were preserved in the gold chalice and that her spiritual communions were in the silver chalice.

Spiritual Communion is very simple, it only takes a moment, and we can do it during our work, our studies or anything else we may be doing.

We can make a spiritual communion at any time and in any place, if we approach the devotion with “renewed faith, reverence, humility and in complete trust in the goodness of the divine Redeemer” and are “united to him in the spirit of the most ardent charity,” per Pope Pius XII’s encyclical Mediator Dei (The Sacred Liturgy). In spiritual communion, we embrace Our Lord as if we had received him in the Eucharist.

Three-step Method of Spiritual Communion by St. Alphonsus Liguori

1. An act of faith
This can be one using the formal prayer taught by the Church or an extemporaneous one. The main point is to express to Our Lord our firm belief in his goodness and mercy, and in his real presence in the Blessed Sacrament.

2. An act of charity
Again either using the formal prayer of the Church or an extemporaneous one. The act should express our love for Jesus.

3. An act of desire
We express our desire to receive Our Lord Jesus Christ. We invite Jesus to come into our hearts spiritually. St. Alphonsus recommended that we even open our mouths as if receiving actual communion.

Advantages of the Spiritual Communion

Spiritual communion gives us a greater awareness of God’s presence in our lives and increases our faith in the Real Presence. The more we spiritually communicate, the more united we become with Christ. The Church recommends making spiritual communions as often as possible, even if we’re able to participate in Mass that day.

St. Pius X reminds us of the effect of the communion: In one who receives it worthily, the Eucharist preserves and increases grace, which is the life of the soul, as food does for the life of the body; It remits venial sins and preserves from mortal sins; It gives spiritual consolation and comfort, increasing charity and the hope of life eternal, of which it is the pledge.

St. Jean-Marie Vianney compared spiritual communion to blowing on fire and embers that are starting to go out in order to make them burn again.

If we are deprived of Sacramental Communion, let us replace it, as far as we can, by spiritual communion, which we can make every moment; for we ought to have always a burning desire to receive the good God. Communion is to the soul like blowing a fire that is beginning to go out, but that has still plenty of hot embers; we blow, and the fire burns again. After the reception of the Sacraments, when we feel ourselves slacken in the love of God, let us have recourse at once to spiritual communion. When we cannot go to the church, let us turn towards the tabernacle; no wall can shut us out from the good God.

Acts of Spiritual Communion

My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the most Blessed Sacrament. I love you above all things, and I desire to receive you into my soul. Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace you as if you have already come and unite myself wholly to you. Never permit me to be separated from you. Amen. — St. Alphonsus Liguori

I believe thou art present in the Blessed Sacrament, O Jesus. I love thee and desire thee. Come into my heart; I embrace thee. O never leave me. I beseech thee, O Lord Jesus, may the burning and most sweet power of thy love absorb my mind, that I may die through love of thy love, who wast graciously pleased to die through love of my love. Amen. — St. Francis of Assisi

Bishop Schneider recently published an article about the communion in times of a pandemic. He offers the following prayer for a fruitful Spiritual Communion:

“At Thy feet, O my Jesus, I prostrate myself, and I offer Thee the repentance of my contrite heart, which is humbled in its nothingness and in Thy holy presence. I adore Thee in the Sacrament of Thy love, the ineffable Eucharist. I desire to receive Thee into the poor dwelling that my heart offers Thee. While waiting for the happiness of sacramental Communion, I wish to possess Thee in spirit. Come to me, O my Jesus, since I, for my part, am coming to Thee! The love embrace my whole being in life and in death. I believe in Thee, I hope in Thee, I love Thee. Amen”

Brief Acts of Spiritual Communion

May the burning and must sweet power of thy love, O Lord Jesus Christ, I beseech thee, absorb my mind, that I may die through love of thy love, who wast graciously pleased to die through love of my love. Amen. — St. Francis of Assisi

“O love not loved! O love not known!” — St. M. Magdalene of Pazzi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it sinful to attend the Novus Ordo (New Mass) - Is it Sinful to Not Attend the Novus Ordo on Sunday?

+ JMJ A non-SSPX Catholic is upset over the SSPX statements on not attending the Novus Ordo Missae. Ladies and gentlemen, what the SSPX, or at least its website editor, is advocating is a mortal sin against the Third Commandment.  Unless the priest deviates from the language of the Sacramentary, the consecration, and thus the rest of Mass is to be considered valid.  No one may elect not to attend Mass simply because abuses are occurring therein.  Might I suggest that such absenteeism is its own abuse?  The Third Commandment binds under mortal sin.  Father So-And-So from the SSPX has no authority whatsoever to excuse attendance at Mass, be that Mass ever so unpalatable. Source:Restore DC Catholicism Well, this is interesting. First why does the SSPX issue this statement? Because it is sinful to put your faith in danger by attending a protestant service.  It is likewise dangerous to put your faith in danger by attending a protestantized mass (ie the Novus Ordo Missae

Morning and Evening and other sundry Prayers

+ JMJ Along the theme of P^3 (Prayer, Penance, Patience), and for my own reference ... here is a collection of Morning and Evening prayers from the Ideal Daily Missal along with some additional prayers. In this crisis of the Church, I do not think it is possible to do too much prayer, penance and have patience. P^3

Catholic Culture - The Edgar Schein Model Analysis of the Pre and Post Conciliar Culture

 + JMJ    So ... I was thinking ... I've used Edgar Schein's (RIP) organizational cultural model (link ) in my research  ... why not apply it in a comparison between the Catholic Organizational Culture - PRE and POST Second Vatican Culture? Of course, this will be from my own perspective, I'm certain that others will think differently. 😁 Also, apologies for a rather long article. Graphic: https://mutomorro.com/edgar-scheins-culture-model/ Below is a quick mapping of the cultural factors that I could think of.  Since the Church is vast and composed of millions of Souls, it is necessarily a limited cultural map.  Yet, I think it will still be useful to assess what has changed since the Second Vatican Council. Additional Reading:  5 enduring management ideas from MIT Sloan’s Edgar Schein | MIT Sloan Artifacts Artifacts are tangible and observable aspects of the culture being examined.  All organizations have them. Walmart has their Walmart chant, Charismatics have their spe

Holy Ghost vs Holy Spirit

+ JMJ Something that always and I do mean always causes me to cringe interiourly is when non-Trad Catholics use the words "Holy Spirit" instead of "Holy Ghost". First, this is a natural response because of long usage of "Holy Ghost" as soon as I hear the word "Holy" in a prayer, my brain automatically is prepped to hear "Ghost" afterwards.  This creates a short period of interiour dissonance (discomfort). Now the question I would like to ponder today is whether or not there is a difference and whether or not there is a right way vs wrong way.