Skip to main content

FSSPX.News: A Surprising Defense of the Traditional Mass

 +

JMJ

 It is surprising but not unexpected that those who have no pre-conceived bias against the Tridentine Mass will, after witnessing it, will form an opinion that is consistent with the pre-conciliar opinion of the Liturgy.

P^3

 

Courtesy of FSSPX.news 

 

 

A Surprising Defense of the Traditional Mass

April 28, 2023
Source: fsspx.news


The following is a reflection by Fr. Alain Lorans, FSSPX.

For several months, in Rome, it has been rumored that after Traditionis custodes and the rescript of February 21, 2023, the celebration of the Traditional Mass would be even more severely restricted. For the moment nothing has been published, and it is not sure that a text will appear any time soon.

However, on March 30 in the French weekly Valeurs Actuelles, a statement appeared that may serve as an early response to any Roman attempt to issue a burial permit for the Tridentine Mass.

Here is this statement: “We want to make everything horizontal, to banalize things, to make them ordinary…. It is amazing to see that this temptation also affects the Catholic Church. I once attended a celebration of Mass according to the traditional rite: it is not my culture, but first I had an aesthetic emotion that challenged me.

“I'm not saying that it will necessarily fill the churches, but this Tridentine liturgy belongs to a liturgical heritage. I have the impression that what is at stake with the attacks of which this rite is the object, is a bit the continuation of Vatican II, with this temptation, even in the Church, to oust the sacred, the transcendent. However, I rather have the feeling that it is a treasure that should be kept as holy and defended.”

These remarks were made by a Franco-Tunisian journalist, of Muslim faith, Sonia Mabrouk.

She adds: “We make the mistake of believing that with one level, the horizontal, we will give easier access to the sacred. I think it's exactly the opposite: it is verticality that allows this connection, this reconnection to the sacred. I don't want to name anyone responsible for this, but it seems to me that Pope Francis, all the same, has his part in it: the pope cannot be a walking NGO, and that is sometimes the case.”

“We sometimes have the impression, listening to it, of seeing a television set where all the societal subjects parade. I'm not saying that it's not his role to bring up certain subjects, but his speech is sometimes so desacralized, in connection with total timeliness and immediacy, that it doesn't correspond to what is expected of him. In any case, I who am of Muslim culture and religion, I do not expect that from the Pope.”

We are far from the Abu Dhabi interreligious declaration of February 4, 2019, “Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together,” co-signed by Francis and the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar.

The Councilors want to win the good graces of the modern, multicultural, and multi-religious world, by desacralizing the Catholic rite. They only succeed in discrediting themselves ever more in the eyes of those to whom they should be bringing the Gospel message.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rome,the SSPX and this time of Crisis - Updated

+ JMJ Obviously there's lots of events right now. First we have the April 1st - I almost thought it was April Fools - meeting between Pope Francis and Bishop Fellay.  Nothing really news worthy as this is a natural progression as Rome appears to be considering fulfilling Archbishop Lefebvre's wish to 'accept us as we are'. Second we have the April 8th publication of what will be a verbose exhortation of the Synod of the Family. I'm willing to bet that the Pope will give with one hand (unilateral regularization of SSPX) and take with the other (ambiguous document that opens the flood gates of sin further). Much to pray for. P^3

A Reply to Martin Blackshaw’s FLAWED Remnant article titled: FLAWED: SSPX Advice on Abortion-tainted Vaccines

 + JMJ    An article has appeared in the Remnant (link to article) and I am afraid that there are a number of flaws in it that need to be addressed. The author, Martin Blackshaw, believes that both the Church and the SSPX are misapplying the principle of Moral Theology called 'Cooperation In Evil'.  Unfortunately, Mr. Blackshaw rests most of his arguments on citing authors that support his position, without considering the possibility that they are wrong. This highlights a key factor in this crisis: ignorance of the faith and its application . I don't am not singling out Mr. Blackshaw for this criticism, I have observed that it applies to laity and religious, superior and subject a like.  No one seems immune in this enduring crisis, myself included.  I further believe that this ignorance is why so many Catholics, both traditional and non, rely on their gut feeling or "Catholic conscience" for charting their way through this crisis of the faith.  While...

Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum

 + JMJ  Now THIS is probably the most important news item in the last two years - yes I place this above the pandemic. I'm only surprised by how long it took for this to surface during this pontificate. I hope and pray that it is false or that if it comes to pass that somehow some good will arise out of the ashes of Summorum Pontificum. P^3  Courtesy of Rorate-Caeli URGENT: Pope tells Italian Bishops he plans to abolish the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum (Updated) Update (May 26): Rorate's additional sources in Rome have confirmed this Wednesday that Francis has indeed a text on Summorum Pontificum lined up, which has been developed for months, but what is not known at this point is if the text is just about a more limited take on the Summorum application questionnaire (first revealed by us in the spring of 2020) or about an overhaul of Summorum Pontificum in general: drafts could be dealing with both matters. It is also not impossible for a text to come ou...

If Pope Francis is bad - what about Pope St. John Paul II et al?

+ JMJ So here we are on the apparent cusp of yet another post conciliar Papal canonization. This time we have Pope's John-Paul I and Paul VI canonizations to 'look forward' to. This follows, obviously, on the heels of Pope St. John Paul II's canonization? So the first question that I usually encounter is: How is it possible, keeping in mind the doctrine on infallibility of canonizations (note doctrine not dogma), that Pope St. John Paul II is a Saint? First, what does it mean???  According to the doctrine of dogmatic facts - it is the universal opinion of Theologians that canonizations are infallible.  It means that they enjoy the beatific vision.  ... that's it.  That is the doctrine and it is at the level of universal opinion of theologians.  It is called a 'dogmatic fact'. That they made mistakes is obvious.  That the miracles seem to not be very miraculous is also a bit of an issue. Here's something to consider: The rush that surrou...

Thirty Days Prayer to Our Lady -

+ JMJ Providence has cast this prayer in my path twice in the last week.  I decided to post it here in order to have a copy handy. P^3 Prayer Penance Patience Source Intro Prayer With the condition of affairs in the cultural, political and physical world in a state of disarray we enter Lent - Ash Wednesday - February 25th - 2004 - more compelled then ever to pursue, diligently and faithfully, our personal road to holiness. It is a long, difficult path each of us treads, however, we do know the journey can be sweeter and more blessed if we travel it with others. Jesus has told us: "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I am with you." And there are many other biblical passages, as well, that urge us to love and help one another. A 'Thirty Day Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary ' was said by many Catholics during troubled times in their lives up until Vatican II. While looking through old stored away boxes, I came across a small white prayer b...