Skip to main content

Fruits of Vatican II - The New Mass Part 1c Side By Side Comparison

+
JMJ


It is apropos that this post should appear near the anniversary of the miracle at Fatima - 100 years ago.

P^3




1962
1965
1969
The Minor Elevation

P: [Through Him +, and with Him +, and in Him +, is unto Thee, God the Father + Almighty, in the unity of the Holy + Ghost, all honor and glory.] World without end.
S: Amen.
The Minor Elevation

P: Through him, in him, with him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honour is yours, almighty Father, for ever and ever.
S: Amen.
The Minor Elevation

P: Through him, with him, in him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, almighty Father, for ever and ever.
S: Amen.
Our Father

P: Let us pray. Admonished by Thy saving precepts and following Thy divine instruction, we make bold to say:

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation.
S: But deliver us from evil.
P: Amen.

[Deliver us, we beseech Thee, O Lord, from all evils, past, present and to come, and by the intercession of the Blessed and glorious ever Virgin Mary, Mother of God, together with Thy blessed apostles Peter and Paul, and Andrew, and all the Saints, + mercifully grant peace in our days, that through the bounteous help of Thy mercy we may be always free from sin, and safe from all disquiet.]

[Through the same Jesus Christ, Thy Son our Lord, Who is God living and reigning with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost,] world without end.
S: Amen.
Our Father

P: Let us pray. Urged by our Saviour’s command and formed by divine teaching we dare to say:

A: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.


P: Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, past, present and to come, and at the intercession of the Blessed and glorious ever Virgin Mary, Mother of God, together with Thy blessed apostles Peter and Paul, and Andrew, and all the Saints, + be pleased to grant peace in our time, so that through the help of your loving kindness we may be ever free from sin and safe from all turmoil.

Through the same Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, Who is God, living and reigning with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit, for ever and ever.
S: Amen.
Our Father

P: Jesus taught us to call God our Father, and so we have the courage to say:


A: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.


P: Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

S: For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and for ever.

Sign of Peace

P: Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles: I leave you peace, my peace I give you. Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and grant us the peace and unity of your kingdom, where you live for ever and ever.
S: Amen

P: The peace of the Lord be with you always.
S: And also with you.

P: Let us offer each other a sign of peace.
Breaking of the Sacred Host

P: May the peace + of the Lord be +always +with you.
S: And with thy spirit.

P: [May this mingling and hallowing of the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ be for us who receive it a source of eternal life. Amen.]
Breaking of the Sacred Host

P: The Lord’s peace be with you always.
S: And with your spirit.

P: [May this mingling and consecration of the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ help us who receive it to life everlasting. Amen.]
Breaking of the Bread

Lamb of God

A: Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
Lamb of God

A: Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world: have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world: have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world: grant us peace.
Lamb of God

A: Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world: have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world: have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world: grant us peace.
Priest’s prayers before Communion
For peace and fidelity
P: [O Lord, Jesus Christ, Who didst say to Thine Apostles: Peace I leave you, My peace I give to you: look not upon my sins, but upon the faith of Thy Church; and deign to give her that peace and unity which is agreeable to Thy will: God Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.]

For Holiness
[O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, Who, by the will of the Father and the co-operation of the Holy Ghost, hast by Thy death given life to the world: deliver me by this, Thy most sacred Body and Blood, from all my iniquities and from every evil; make me cling always to Thy commandments, and permit me never to be separated from Thee. Who with the same God, the Father and the Holy Ghost, livest and reignest God, world without end. Amen.]

For Grace
[Let not the partaking of Thy Body, O Lord Jesus Christ, which I, though unworthy, presume to receive, turn to my judgment and condemnation; but through Thy mercy may it be unto me a safeguard and a healing remedy both of soul and body. Who livest and reignest with God the Father, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. Amen.]
Priest’s prayers before Communion
For peace and fidelity
P: [Lord Jesus Christ, You said to your apostles: Peace I leave you, My peace I give to you. Do not look not at my sins, but at the faith of Thy Church, and be pleased to give her that peace and unity according to Your will: You Who live and reign, God, for ever and ever. Amen.]


For Holiness
[Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, in obedience to the will of the Father and with the co-operation of the Holy Spirit, You brought life to the world through Your Death. Deliver me by Your most holy Body and Blood from all my sins and every evil. Make me always you’re your commandments and never let me be separated from You, Who with the same God, the Father and the Holy Spirit, live and reign, God, for ever and ever. Amen.]


For Grace
[Lord Jesus Christ, although unworthy, I dare to receive Your Body. Do not let it turn to a sentence of condemnation against me, but in Your loving kindness make it a safeguard and a healing remedy for both soul and body: You Who live and reign with God the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.]
Priest’s prayer before Communion

P: Lord Jesus Christ, with faith in your love and mercy I eat your body and drink your blood. Let it not bring me condemnation, but health in mind and body.
Communion of the priest

P: [I will take the Bread of heaven and will call upon the Name of the Lord.]

The bell is rung at each “Lord, I am not worthy”

[Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.]

[Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.]

[Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.]

[May the Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ preserve my soul unto life everlasting. Amen.]

He consumes the Host

[What return shall I make to the Lord for all the things that He hath given unto me? I will take the chalice of salvation, and call upon the Name of the Lord. I will call upon the Lord and give praise: and I shall be saved from mine enemies. May the Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ preserve my soul unto life everlasting. Amen.]

He consumes the Precious Blood
Communion of the priest

P: [I will take the Bread of heaven and will call upon the Name of the Lord.]

P: Behold the Lamb of God, behold Him Who takes away the sins of the world.

A: Lord, [strike breast] I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof, say but the word and my soul shall be healed.

Lord, [strike breast] I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof, say but the word and my soul shall be healed.

Lord, [strike breast] I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof, say but the word and my soul shall be healed.

P: [May the Body of our Lord Jesus Christ keep my soul and bring it to life everlasting. Amen.]

He consumes the Host

[What return shall I make to the Lord for all His goodness to me? I will take the chalice of salvation, and call upon the Name of the Lord. With praise I will call upon the Lord, and I shall be safe from my enemies.]

He consumes the Precious Blood

[May the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ keep my soul and bring it to life everlasting. Amen.]
Communion of the priest

P: This is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper.

A: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed.

P: [May the body of Christ bring me to everlasting life.]

He consumes the Host

[May the Blood of Christ bring me to everlasting life.]

He consumes the Precious Blood.

[May the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ keep my soul and bring it to life everlasting. Amen.]
Communion of the people

P: Behold the Lamb of God, behold Him who takes away the sins of the world.
S: Lord, [strike breast] I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.

Lord, [strike breast] I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.

Lord, [strike breast] I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof; but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed.

For each person, he says,

P: May the Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ preserve your soul unto life everlasting. Amen.

The communicant does not respond “Amen”.
Communion of the people
















For each person, he says,

P: The Body of Christ.
S: Amen.
Communion of the people
















For each person, he says,

P: The Body (Blood) of Christ.
S: Amen.
Post Communion

P: [Grant, O Lord, that what we have taken with our mouth, we may receive with a pure mind; and that from a temporal gift it may become for us an everlasting remedy.]

Wine and water are poured into the Chalice over the priests fingers. As he dries them he says,

[May Thy Body, O Lord, which I have received and Thy Blood which I have drunk, cleave to my inmost parts, and grant that no stain of sin remain in me; whom these pure and holy Sacraments have refreshed. Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.]
Post Communion

P: [What has passed our lips as food, O Lord, may we possess in purity of heart, that what is given to us in time, be our healing for eternity.]


Wine and water are poured into the Chalice over the priests fingers. As he dries them he says,

[May Your Body, O Lord, which I have eaten, and Your Blood which I have drunk, cleave to my very soul, and grant that no trace of sin be found in me, whom these pure and holy mysteries have renewed. Who live and reign, for ever and ever. Amen.]
Post Communion

P: [Lord, may I receive these gifts in purity of heart. May they bring me healing and strength, now and for ever.]
Communion Antiphon
The priest goes to the Left Side of the altar


P: The Lord be with you.
S: And with thy spirit.

P: Let us pray.

He reads the communion verse.
Communion Antiphon
The priest goes to the Left Side of the altar and reads the communion verse silently.

P: The Lord be with you.
S: And with your spirit.

P: Let us pray

He reads the prayer of the day.

S: Amen.
Prayer after Communion







P: Let us pray

He reads the prayer of the day.

S: Amen.
Dismissal
Returning to the middle of the altar, he kisses it and turns to the people, saying,

P: The Lord be with you.
S: And with thy spirit.

P: Go, the Mass is ended.
S: Thanks be to God.
Dismissal
Returning to the middle of the altar, he kisses it and turns to the people, saying,

P: The Lord be with you.
S: And with your spirit.

P: Go, the Mass is ended.
S: Thanks be to God.
Dismissal
If there are any brief announcements, they are made at this time.

P: The lord be with you.
S: And also with you.

P: Go in the peace of Christ.
S: Thanks be to God.
The Final Blessing
The priest bows before the altar saying,

P: [May the tribute of my homage be pleasing to Thee, O most holy Trinity. Grant that the Sacrifice which I, unworthy as I am, have offered in the presence of Thy Majesty, may be acceptable to Thee. Through Thy mercy may it bring forgiveness to me and to all for whom I have offered it. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.]

He kisses the altar and turns to the people and says,

May Almighty God bless you: the Father, + the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
S: Amen.
The Final Blessing
The priest bows before the altar saying,

P: [May the tribute of my worship be pleasing to You, most Holy Trinity, and grant that the sacrifice which I, all unworthy, have offered in the presence of Your Majesty, may be acceptable to You, and through Your mercy obtain forgiveness for me and all for whom I have offered it. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.]

He turns to the people and says,


May Almighty God bless you: the Father, + the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
S: Amen.
The Final Blessing












P: May almighty God bless you, the Father, + and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
S: Amen.
The Last Gospel
P: The Lord be with you.
S: And with thy spirit.

P: + The beginning of the Holy Gospel according to Saint John.
S: Glory be to thee, O Lord.

P: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was made nothing that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men: and the Light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through Him might believe. He was not the Light, but was to bear witness of the Light. That was the true Light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world. He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. He came unto His own, and His own received Him not. But as many as received Him, to them He gave power to become the sons of God; to them that believe in His name: who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Kneel

AND THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH

Stand

and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, the glory as of the Only-begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

S: Thanks be to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning and Evening and other sundry Prayers

+ JMJ Along the theme of P^3 (Prayer, Penance, Patience), and for my own reference ... here is a collection of Morning and Evening prayers from the Ideal Daily Missal along with some additional prayers. In this crisis of the Church, I do not think it is possible to do too much prayer, penance and have patience. P^3

Is it sinful to attend the Novus Ordo (New Mass) - Is it Sinful to Not Attend the Novus Ordo on Sunday?

+ JMJ A non-SSPX Catholic is upset over the SSPX statements on not attending the Novus Ordo Missae. Ladies and gentlemen, what the SSPX, or at least its website editor, is advocating is a mortal sin against the Third Commandment.  Unless the priest deviates from the language of the Sacramentary, the consecration, and thus the rest of Mass is to be considered valid.  No one may elect not to attend Mass simply because abuses are occurring therein.  Might I suggest that such absenteeism is its own abuse?  The Third Commandment binds under mortal sin.  Father So-And-So from the SSPX has no authority whatsoever to excuse attendance at Mass, be that Mass ever so unpalatable. Source:Restore DC Catholicism Well, this is interesting. First why does the SSPX issue this statement? Because it is sinful to put your faith in danger by attending a protestant service.  It is likewise dangerous to put your faith in danger by attending a protestantized mass (ie the Novus Ordo Missae

Remember this day March 25, 1991 - The Death of Archbishop Lefebvre

+ JMJ This is the day, 25 years ago, that Archbishop Lefebvre passed on to his eternal reward. I know that he has as many (perhaps even more) critics than admirers.  For example I still remember Fr. Paul Nicholson's screed in which he shouted from the top of his webpage: "To die excommunicated - how horrible". I'll leave aside Fr. Nicholson's ignorance on the matter as in the grand scheme of things, his impact on the life of the Mystical Body of Christ, which IS the Roman Catholic Church is no greater than that of Michael Voris etc. Archbishop Lefebvre and the work he founded (ie Fraternal Society of St. Pius X ) have had a significant impact. Let us list of few from greatest to smallest: Consistent and constant Catholic perspective on the crisis of the Church from the halls of the Second Vatican Council to the Synod on the Family (and beyond!) Summorum Pontificum and Universae Ecclesiae : By which the restoration of the sacramental life of the

Can I attend SSPX Mass? Is it sinful to go to SSPX for Mass? Does it fulfill my Sunday obligation?

 + JMJ   As the 'roll out' of Traditiones Custodes continues, I think more Catholics will be asking this question. Here are some answers. P^3 Attached below is the more recent of the two statements, see link for the earlier contradicting one :-) Letter by Msgr. Camille Perl Regarding Society of St. Pius X Masses Una Voce America has received a communication from the Pontifical Ecclesia Dei Commission, concerning an article which appeared in The Remnant newspaper and various websites. At the request of the Commission, we are publishing it below. Pontificia Commissio "Ecclesia Dei" January 18, 2003 Greetings in the Hearts of Jesus & Mary! There have been several inquiries about our letter of 27 September 2002. In order to clarify things, Msgr. Perl has made the following response. Oremus pro invicem. In cordibus Jesu et Mariæ, Msgr. Arthur B. Calkins Msgr. Camille Perl’s response: Unfortunately, as you will understand, we have no way of controlling what