A look back: September 1997 - Superior General's Letter #53
The history of the SSPX is an example of obedience. Some would say disobedience. The question is obedience or disobedience to what?
The SSPX is obedient to:
- Pre-conciliar magisterium
- Pre-conciliar liturgy
- Conciliar magisterium following three classes
- What is repeating previous magisterium: Accept
- What is ambiguous: Accept inline with traditional interpretation
- What is contrary: Reject and request correction by the authority
- Post-conciliar magisterium that is inline with pre-conciliar magisterium
Consequently, the SSPX is disobedient to:
- Post-conciliar magisterium that deviates from the pre-conciliar magisterium.
- The post-conciliar liturgy
- Orders that would constitute a compromise to that which (see above) the SSPX is obedient.
Obedience in this time requires a great deal of prudence as well as fortitude.
Courtesy of SSPX.org