Modernist as Reformer ht/PP
Pertinacious Papist has posted an excerpt that is bang-on for diagnosing the crisis of the Church.
The source: Pope St. Pius X (whom the Vatican website has finally canonized!), Pascendi - article 38.
The context: Exposing the methods and errors of the Modernists of his time which are not that far removed from those of our time - a mere hundred years later.
Modernist as reformer - Key Aspects and Aims
- Great and eager passion for innovation.
- Reform philosophy, especially in the ecclesiastical seminaries. (FFI today)
- Relegate scholastic philosophy to the history of philosophy and to be classed among absolute (obsolete?) systems. (Since the Council and perhaps a little earlier based on Pope Emeritus Benedict XIV adminssions)
- Modern philosophy to be taught to young men as it alone is true and suited to the times in which we live. ( Since before the Second Vatican Council )
- Reform theology such it is to have modern philosophy for its foundation, and positive theology is to be founded on the history of dogma. ( Since the Second Vatican Council )
- History must be written and taught only according to their methods and modern principles. ( Example anyone? )
- Dogmas and their evolution, are to be harmonized with science and history. ( Ongoing )
- In the Catechism no dogmas are to be inserted except those that have been reformed and are within the capacity of the people. ( CCC? )
- In worship, the number of external devotions is to be reduced, and steps must be taken to prevent their further increase, ( Novus Ordo Missae )
- some of the admirers of symbolism are disposed to be more indulgent on this head. ( Pope Benedict XVI )
- Ecclesiastical government must be reformed in all its branches, but especially in its disciplinary and dogmatic departments (Since the Second Vatican Council )
- outwardly and inwardly it must be brought into harmony with the modern conscience which now wholly tends towards democracy; ( Collegiality)
- a share in ecclesiastical government should therefore be given to the lower ranks of the clergy and even to the laity ( Collegiality and parish councils, Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers, Lay People doing 'readings')
- Authority should be decentralized ( Collegiality )
- Roman Congregations and especially the index and the Holy Office, must be likewise modified ( Check and double check! )
- The ecclesiastical authority must alter its line of conduct in the social and political world; while keeping outside political organizations it must adapt itself to them in order to penetrate them with its spirit. ( An ongoing work in progress )
- Adopting the principle of the Americanists, the active virtues are claimed to be more important than the passive, and are to be more encouraged in practice. ( Apparently the focus of the current Pontificate)
- Clergy should return to their primitive humility and poverty, ( This is definitely a focus of the current Pontificate)
- In their ideas and actions the clergy should admit the principles of Modernism; ( Done )
- Listening to the teaching of their Protestant masters, desire the suppression of the celibacy of the clergy. ( WIP - Work In Progress )